*** ShoeBox Photos ***

All screens best viewed in 800x600 resolution and utilize a  progressive JPEG  format. Photos are encoded with copyright, and information in AdobePhotoShop Info File.

Robert G. Bartlett *** U.S. Navy *** WWII 1944-1946


Bob served in the U.S Navy during World War II from 1944 to 1946. He received "Boot Camp" at Naval Training Camp Sampson, New York. Transferred to New London, Connecticut, where he entered the Navy's "Silent Service" as a torpedo mate 3rd class. On December 5, 1944 he was assigned to the 88 man crew of the U.S.S. Bluefish (SS-222) where he served until January 1946. The "Bluefish was a submarine that saw service in the South Pacific Ocean from Australia, the East Indies, to Honshu, Japan. After a honorable discharge in 1946, he later reenlisted into the Naval Reserves in 1952 and served for another 28 years in the "Seabees" as a Chief Petty Officer Builders Chief (BVC) retiring after 30 years of service in 1980.
The USS Bluefish (SS-222) was built by the Electric Boat company and launched on February 21, 1943 and commissioned May 24, 1943 at Groton, Connecticut. It is a "Gato" class, 312 foot, diesel power submarine, armed with torpedo's, a single 4"deck gun and (2) 20mm anti-aircraft guns positioned fore and aft. Sailing from New London, Connecticut in July 1943, she was in Brisbane, Australia on August 21, 1943. With (9) combat tours patrolling the South Pacific waters, the USS Bluefish sank (23) Japanese ships including the Japanese destroyer "Saneae" on 11/18/43 and a Japanese submarine, I-3551 on 7/15/45.
Bob Bartlett returned to the Navy in 1952 serving with the Pittsfield, U.S. Naval Reserve . He received Marine and Amphibious "Seabee" training at Parris Island, South Carolina and Port Hueneme, California 1956 and 1958. In February of 1964, the I-15, Mobile Construction Battalion arrived in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba . In this era, "Gitmo"was still a U.S. Naval port on Castro's Cuba. The unit strengthen the base perimeter and constructed various shelters. While there the base had its water supply cut-off by Castro and resorted to water rationing until American tankers ferried millions of gallons of portable water.

Comments, Corrections, Contributions Welcomed.

Christy Butler **** www.shoeboxphotos.net **** **** butts@bcn.net